Opposite to Ho Chi Minh City Center, Thu Thiem peninsula performs like a padlock closely connecting two lands raised by Saigon River, which creates a lively generous boat-and-wharf landscape of the South Delta since its dawn. Since such relationship has been affirmed as key orientation for the city extension and sustainable development formulation for the Eastern of Saigon River connecting to the potential South-East Area, Thu Thiem is considered a heart of the city with its functions of a new modern urban area, financial, commercial and service center of the city in the 21st century and selected as one of the five major projects of Ho Chi Minh City in the 8th Party Congress (2005- 2010).
Thu Thiem New Urban Area locates in Thu Thiem peninsula including An Khanh, Thu Thiem, An Loi Dong, Binh An, Binh Khanh Wards of District 2 and faces the existing center by Saigon River.
Thu Thiem New Urban Area borders:
- Saigon River (Binh Thanh District) in the North
- Saigon River (District 7) in the South
- Binh Khanh Ward (District 2) in the East
- Saigon River (District 1 and District 4) in the West
On November 01, 2001, Chairman of Ho Chi Minh City People’s Committee issued Decision No. 103/2001/QĐ-UB on establishing Thu Thiem Investment and Construction Authority in order to implement the government and investment management as regulations; pursuant to Decision No. 367/QĐ-TTG dated 04/6/1996 and Document No. 190/CP-NN dated 22/02/2002 of Prime Minister on planning approval and land recall for Thu Thiem construction (including 770 ha for the new urban area and 160 ha for resettlement); On 10/5/2002 Chairman of Ho Chi Minh City People’s Committee issued Decision No. 1997/QĐ-UB to recall 621.4328 ha in the Thu Thiem New Urban Area construction plan at Thu Thiem, An Khanh, An Loi Dong, Binh Khanh and Binh An Wards of District 2 and assigned Thu Thiem ICA to deploy the project;
- Serving the resettlement of Thu Thiem New Urban Area Project, Ho Chi Minh City People’s Committee issued the followings: Decision No. 3617/QĐ-UB dated 04/9/2002 on 90.2607 ha land recall in An Phu Ward, District 2; Decision No. 497/QĐ-UB dated 20/01/2003 on 6.3696 ha land recall in Thanh My Loi Ward, District 2 and assigned Thu Thiem ICA to build resettlement area serving Thu Thiem New Urban Area Project and to recall project sites in District 2 for resettlement; Decision No. 2955/QĐ-UB dated 24/6/2004 to recall 1.1715 ha in An Phu Ward for An Phu resettlement area construction; Decision No. 1819/QĐ-UB dated 14/5/2002 to recall 1.2109 ha of An Phu – An Khanh Urban Area; Document No. 6271/UB-ĐT dated 20/10/2004 to recall 50 ha in Group III, Cat Lai of the former Cat Lai Industrial Park Project.
On 24/11/2003, Prime Minister issued Document No. 1642/CV-CNN allowing Ho Chi Minh City People’s Committee to coordinate with Ministry of Construction approving the adjustment of master plan, detailed plan and assignment of consultant for Thu Thiem New Urban Area Detailed Plan; on 27/12/2003, Ho Chi Minh City People’s Committee issued Decision No. 6565/QĐ-UB and Decision No. 6566/QĐ- UB on approval of Thu Thiem New Urban Area 1/5,000 General Plan, 1/2,000 Detailed Plan; Thu Thiem ICA coordinated with People’s Committee of District 2 in announcing the said detailed plan to Managers and Deputy Managers of Departments in District 2 Party and People’s Committee, People’s Committees of Wards and other relevant agencies as well as affected inhabitants of Thu Thiem New Urban Area.
Thu Thiem Authority